Decomposing body of 69-year-old man found at Pasir Panjang wholesale center – Mothership.SG

Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates:

The body of a 69-year-old man was found in the Pasir Panjang wholesale center, after the corpse began to decompose and a nearby wholesaler smelled and spotted a “foul-smelling liquid” flowing from the unit, Shin Min Daily News (SMDN) reported.

The body was discovered at 5:26 p.m. on October 9, in Block 10 of the Wholesale Center.

According to his former employer at the wholesale center, the deceased had been a vegetable wholesaler for around 20 years and continued to work for other wholesalers in the center after he closed his business.

Wholesaler found “unusual odor” and “foul-smelling liquid”

Speaking to Shin Min, a 60-year-old wholesaler said he realized an “unusual smell” at 11 am on October 9 and initially thought it was the corpse of a dead rodent.

He later found a “foul-smelling liquid” leaking from one of the units and realized it was “unusual”.

The wholesaler allegedly claimed to have warned the management before leaving the premises to deliver his goods.

However, he said nothing was done on his return at 4 p.m. prompting him to call the police.

Police subsequently arrived at the scene to investigate and move the body.

Block 10, Pasir Panjang Wholesale Center. (Image via Shin Min Daily News)

Another wholesaler who occupies a unit along the same row of stores told Shin Min that the deceased usually slept in the warehouse and appeared to have health issues with his legs.

Speaking to Shin Min, police said the man was found lying motionless in the unit and died of natural causes.

“Persistent odor”

A 25-year-old wholesaler said he smelled a whiff of odor two days before the body was found, but was not sure where it came from, according to Shin Min.

It did not occur to him at the time that it was the smell of a rotting body, until police arrived at the scene two days later.

He reportedly claimed he could still smell the scent two days after the body was found, and it took four days before a clean-up crew arrived to clean the scene on October 13.

Unit cleaning. (Image via Shin Min Daily News)

The management of the wholesale center told Shin Min that she was waiting for the police to remove her lanyard and to seek permission from the family of the deceased man before carrying out two rounds of cleaning.

Prayers to unity

After the incident, people believed to be relatives of the deceased were seen burning incense paper at the scene, Shin Min reported.

The Pasir Panjang wholesale center was one of the places that registered a Covid-19 cluster and was reportedly closed for three days before reopening on September 30.

Upon reopening, the public was not allowed to enter the premises of the wholesale center, and only wholesalers and “relevant parties” were allowed in, according to Shin Min.

Top image via Shin Min Daily News & Siang Hang Lim / Google Maps

About Timothy Cheatham

Check Also

Overview – Barron’s | MarketScreener

Monday 1/3 Stock exchanges around the world, including Canada, Japan, and the UK, are closed …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *